While James and Pa Foday are experiencing life in America, especially life at St. Simeon Skete, there is also much work being done.
Last Sunday as the Board of Directors met, there were many goals revisited and new ones made. We are pleased to have elected Andrew (Drew) Miller as the newest member of the board.
|Drew and his family with Seraphim. They are about to make the long journey back from the Skete to Washington State. |
Drew and his family have been involved in Nazareth House Apostolate for many years now and have been an intricate part of its work in Sierra Leone. We are very excited to have him join us in this new capacity.
James and Pa Foday have been acclimating to the Kentucky surroundings and enjoying life in the country.
|Pa Foday sits in Seraphim's chair using Seraphim's desk (board) in which he does all his writings. |
|James & Pa Foday watch our Youtube Channel (video streaming is difficult in Sierra Leone) |
|Hiking the grounds around St. Simeon Skete|
|James getting to know the chickens of St. Simeon Skete|
|Trying new foods... in this case 'mussels' |
|Campfires under starlit night skies|
There have been time for these pleasures but the purpose of the visit is the work of NHA and the medical treatments needed.
Last Sunday night, Pa Foday (after receiving blood tests prior) met with Dr. Baumann and his wife, Kathy at Anna House. The doc was gracious enough to exam Pa Foday. It turns out that Pa Foday's results look very good and after one more test we are hoping to pronounce him with a clean bill of health. We will get that test completed on Tuesday, October 15.
The projects we will be fine tuning in the next few short weeks are :
Designing a Flag and Motto for the School in Kabala, Figuring out athletic programs for the school and other school related situations.
The Board prioritized these projects
- The purchase of the front 4 acres at the Skete property, to ensure security and privacy to maintain an atmosphere of prayer. $40,000
- Increase school classroom space, building an addition to the school $50,000
- A Medical Clinic to provide immediate care for the sick and injured. This will be in memorial to Cindy Peterson. $75, 000
- An Agricultural Project for the students of NHA School in Kabala - to teach them farming skills and also help support the school by selling the produce. This also can teach them marketing skills. $1000. (One Board Member promptly paid $1000 for the start up of this project, however, it is ongoing and will need financing for seed, etc. every year).
- A Generator for the School and for the Compound: $5,000 for the Compound, $7,500 for the School.
- Laptops for the School - at least 5 more. Project underway. We are paying $500 average per laptop.
- A Security Guard to maintain the School - addition salary of $100 per month.
120 Students are still without uniforms. We are currently working to provide them with this clothing.
These are a few of the projects, however, we must also maintain and continue St. Simeon Skete first and foremost. This regularly takes funding. Without the prayer coming forth from St. Simeon Skete, the outreach in Sierra Leone and throughout the world would cease.
We ask you for your prayers and support as we move forward.
Remember no amount is too small, every dollar leans us toward reaching our goals. Thank you.
Donations can be made through our website www.nazarethhouseap.org
or by mailing to:
Nazareth House Apostolate
185 Captains Cove Drive
Taylorsville, KY 40071